Weird lump/hump help.

Common health problems in the Mastiff.
Mastiff Award scene
A database on more unusual topics is held by Chrissie Rischmiller contact her or submit extra information to her

Moderator: Chris

Weird lump/hump help.

Postby Arnie » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi everyone, I would just like to ask any advice on a strange hump on a 19 month old boy, It literally came up over night, we went straight to the vets where they have taken x rays and a sample which they are sending off to be tested but they have no clue what it may be. I know it is a stab in the dark but I thought you guys may have experience in all health issues with mastiffs. It looks like a hump dead centre on his spine 3/4 of the way down his back around 1" x 1". It doesn't affect him in walking, running or playing and certainly doesn't hurt when touched. The vet has said its PROBABLY nothing(?????) but we want to be 100% sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Arnie

Re: Weird lump/hump help.

Postby Mastiff » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:47 am

Arnie wrote:Hi everyone, I would just like to ask any advice on a strange hump on a 19 month old boy, It literally came up over night, we went straight to the vets where they have taken x rays and a sample which they are sending off to be tested but they have no clue what it may be. I know it is a stab in the dark but I thought you guys may have experience in all health issues with mastiffs. It looks like a hump dead centre on his spine 3/4 of the way down his back around 1" x 1". It doesn't affect him in walking, running or playing and certainly doesn't hurt when touched. The vet has said its PROBABLY nothing(?????) but we want to be 100% sure.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mastiffs are prone to having benine lumps always seem to worry the owner more than the dog. I had a bitch some years ago who had a big lump on her back for a couple of years, when suddenly it burst, full of dried puss [like you get in sheep] we cleaned it out and within a few days it had started to heal never to return, fur grew back. I would be hesitant at the vet draining it due to the risk of infection. Keep an eye on it. My old bitch at the moment has a lump about the size of a lemon on her hock it doesn't worry her. Keep a close eye on it and let us know how it goes. I will try and get a pic of my girls lump to put on here. I know other mastiff owners have had similar worries.
Attachments
Eta lump.jpg
Eta lump.jpg (53.7 KiB) Viewed 2103 times
LS
Mastiff
Site Admin

Postby Arnie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:45 pm

back.jpg
back.jpg (119.3 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Hi there, thank you for your reply, its very re assuring to hear that mastiffs are prone to the odd lump and bump. I've attached a pic (hopefully) to see if anyone can shed any light.
What concerned us most of all was the vet continually telling us he had to loose weight. He is now 95kg, obviously we want the best for Arnie so we will cut his meals down accordingly.

Another concern is we thought his weight was ok, we also are a little annoyed the vet didn't mention anything about his weight 4 months ago when Arnie was 91kg, Now all of a sudden its a massive issue. It would have been better we were warned to keep an eye on his weight before it became a "problem''.

Sorry for the little rant but we are first time dog owners and its very hard to determine what we feel is best advice from someone who hasn't had lots of mastiff experience.
Attachments
fatty arnie.jpg
fatty arnie.jpg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Arnie

Postby merlins mastiff » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi
Lumps seem to be part of the mastiff breed, my bitch has three at present all different sizes. We did have one boy who had 11 all at the same time, some stayed and some went. The dog didnt seem to be aware he had them and they gave no problem.
Looking at the picture your boy dosnt seem at all overweight to my eye. I have had constant battles with vets over this same subject, they all want our breed to be stick thin with there ribs showing. That is not how our breed should look as far as I am concerned, I like to feel a little cover over the ribs but not excessively `sqwidgy" as long as he is healthy and happy you cant be doing too much wrong
merlins mastiff

Postby debbie 1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Arnie if i remember arnie is angus baby if so i would not worry about his weight in his photo he looks ok we have his sister and she is alot heavier than he is and dont forget his father was 211 kg he was a big lad and looks like arnie could take after him he looks fine to me :lol: cant comment about the lump but we have had them and nothing has come of them
debbie 1

Return to Mastiff Health and Other ailments